Thursday, March 5, 2009

Kobalt Tools 500 Preview

The Atlanta Motor Speedway, the site of this weekend's racing action, holds a special place in Hopper's heart for two reasons. Yes, Hopper does have a heart, believe it or not. For one, it is my home track. I absolutely adore going out to the track on Friday(I hate the Sunday crowds), rummaging around the souvenir trailers and tents, and seeing all the exciting new die cast cars.

The other reason is that, come Sunday, it is one of only a few races a year that makes Hopper cry. Yes, the Atlanta races bore Hopper to tears.

The long green-flag runs are sooooooo boring. Especially when your driver isn't running at the front. And especially when your driver(s) bring out every single caution flag, as was the case in a recent Atlanta race. Which is why I will not be picking a Dodge to win this weekend, or finish in the top 5 for that matter.

You will also not see me predict 10 caution flags again this week(we had 14 last week). Mother stayed away last week(I'm referring to Ms. Nature), as promised. My only top 5er from Vegas was Kyle Busch, who won. So now, onto Atlanta.

Mother Nature appears as if she will strike again. The forecast calls for rain on Sunday. This may actually be a good thing. History suggests that Monday races are more exciting in Atlanta. Also, I predict 7 yellows if the race is run on Sunday(5 for debris or rain), and 10 if run on Monday. And now, my top 5:

5. Bobby Labonte
4. Greg Biffle
3. Jimmie Johnson
2. Kyle Busch(in by default)
1. Carl Edwards

I hope I have not destroyed Mr. Labonte's weekend by calling him a top 5 pick. I seem to have that effect on people(I can hear a good buddy of mine. "Remember the playoffs. You put my kids through college."). Anyway, thanks for reading. Have a happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet on Dodge!! Thanks Again...